Women’s Advocates Sue Department of Education Over Title IX Data - Higher Education
Higher Education News and Jobs

Women’s Advocates Sue Department of Education Over Title IX Data

Email


by A.K. Brunini


The National Women’s Law Center (NWLC) sued the Department of Education Monday in an effort to compel the agency to release data concerning its oversight of sexual harassment and assault complaints on college campuses.

In January, the NWLC, a non-profit women’s rights advocate, filed a Freedom of Information Act petition for data concerning the Department of Education’s enforcement of Title IX, a federal law requiring all schools that receive federal funding to prohibit sexual discrimination and to respond quickly to all reports sexual harassment.

NWLC President-elect Fatima Gross Graves

The Department has yet to turn over a single document to the NWLC according to President-elect Fatima Gross Graves. In a statement released by the advocacy group, she said, “Radio silence from the Department of Education in response to our simple request to see documents about its enforcement of prohibitions against sexual harassment in schools is totally unacceptable. There is a lot at stake.”

Alexandra Brodsky, a blogger for the NWLC, wrote Tuesday: “We sued the Department because apparently, we need a federal judge to force DeVos and her agency to live up to their legal responsibilities.”

In the formal complaint, the NWLC writes, “The records are a matter of public concern. Without their release, students, families, and legal service providers such as NWLC will be kept in the dark about whether and how ED enforces Title IX’s protections for student survivors of sexual harassment, including rape. Without their release, victims will not know whether they can trust their government to enforce civil rights laws and intervene on their behalf.”

The NWLC began as a project to secure and protect the advancement of women’s legal rights in 1972.

During the Obama administration, the NWLC had access to annual reports from ED and found 397 investigations of colleges mishandling reports of sexual violence since 2011. Of those, 335 still remain open.

However, since the change to the Trump administration, the NWLC has not had the same level of access to data from ED. In a confirmation hearing in January, DeVos said, “It would be premature” to decide whether or not to follow the same outlines and principles set forth under Obama’s presidential terms.

RELATED ARTICLES >>
Education Summit Addresses ‘A Nation At Risk’ 35 Years Later WASHINGTON — In commemoration of the 35th anniversary of the Reagan administration’s seminal report, “A Nation at Risk,” a bipartisan group of policymakers and education and business leaders gathered at the Reagan Institute Summit on Education (RISE)...
Alabama Women Suing For Equal Pay Lack State Protection TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Amy Heatherly believes she would have been paid at least $50,000 more to do her job over the past five years if she had been a man. As the only female human resources director overseeing compensation at the University of Alabama...
Post-Nassar Sex-Assault Probe Snares Michigan State Official EAST LANSING, Mich. – A sexual abuse scandal at Michigan State University widened Tuesday as authorities charged a medical school official with failing to keep former sports doctor Larry Nassar in line and accused him of groping female students and s...
Gathering Addresses Sexual Misconduct, Title IX Solutions Higher education leaders and the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights recently gathered in the same room to discuss solutions to the challenges that institutions face addressing sexual misconduct on campus. During the session last...
Semantic Tags: