More about the Diverse
The award was created by Diverse: Issues In Higher Education in 2012 upon the retirement of the inaugural Diverse Champions Award winner,
Dr. John E. Roueche, as director of the Community College Leadership Program (CCLP) at the University of Texas at Austin.
Of the more than 500 CCLP graduates produced during his 40-plus year tenure at CCLP, more than 60 percent are women and people of color.
The Diverse Champions Award is given to individuals who have made similarly extraordinary contributions to the world of higher education.
- 2017: Dr. Kay McClenney, Senior Adviser to the President and CEO of the American Association of Community Colleges
- 2016: Dr. Terry O’Banion, Former President of the League for Innovation in the Community College
- 2015: Dr. Eduardo J. Padrón, President of Miami Dade College
- 2014: Dr. Jerry Sue Thornton, Former President of Cuyahoga Community College
- 2013: Dr. Walter G. Bumphus, President and CEO of American Association of Community Colleges
- 2012: Dr. John E. Roueche, Former Director of the Community College Leadership Program at The University of Texas at Austin